Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Z is for Zucchini: Leek and Zucchini Pie (Jessica)

Hello all,

Here I am to write this post about this recipe and all I'm thinking about is all the other recipes I've made in the past year! A lot can happen in a year, but Jen and I have kept this blog constant through all of that. Did I ever tell you that she came up with challenge idea and I came up with the alphabet idea? Maybe I did, but did I tell you that I thought of it on a walk to the bathroom?? Oh yes, this idea was conceived in the opposite of a kitchen! Anyway, I've learned a lot about cooking, baking, and adapting recipes. Best of all, I feel comfortable in a kitchen now. No fear when it comes to recipes (ok, minimal fear...I still haven't tried tiramisu)! So, without further ado, here is this savory pie recipe, delicious!



Leek and Zucchini Pie
from my grandmother and her friend!
feeds 4 as a main course

Ingredients:

1 9” pie shell (frozen works fine, use either regular or deep dish)
2 small leeks (1” diameter), sliced thinly, use the white part; rinse well.
2 medium zucchini, shredded (in food processor)
1 TBL olive oil
1 TBL flour
1 egg
1 TBL white wine (I didn't have any white wine, so I skipped this ingredient)
½ C Half & Half (fat free one is fine)
½ C feta cheese, crumbled small
salt and pepper
¼ - ½ C toasted pine nuts (toast on stove) (optional)
2 plum tomatoes, sliced thin or cut in small pieces (cherry tomatoes are fine as well)


Directions:
1. Poke holes in the pie crust, and then partially bake the pie crust in a 350º oven for 12 minutes.

 
2. Saute leeks and zucchini in oil for 4 minutes, add flour and stir, then remove from heat.
 
3. Mix egg, wine, half & half and feta. Add to leek / zucchini mixture. Pour into pie crust.
4. Layer tomatoes on top. (or cut in smaller pieces and add to mixture)
5. Sprinkle with pine nuts.

 6. Bake at 350º for 40 – 45 minutes. Cool slightly before cutting. Serves 6 as side dish, 4 for main dish.

Review:
Yum! This recipe is really good. We ate it cold, but I heated up my leftovers the next day and that was good too. I don't love any of the ingredients by themselves, but together, they were great! I used a whole-wheat pie crust from Wholefoods and it tasted a bit more healthy than it might have otherwise :) This recipe travels well and you can get creative with decorating (via tomatoes and pine nuts), so it's a good choice for an event!


Love to all,

-Jessica


PS. I just graduated with my master's degree last week!




No comments:

Post a Comment