Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

M is for Melon Mint Sangria (Jennifer)

Hello blog readers!

Hope everyone is enjoying this wonderful weekend--no matter which side of the 405 you are on. : )

This week, I'd like to pay homage to Martha Stewart. Like her or not, you have to admit Martha has some pretty savvy business smarts. Did you know she wrote a book called The Martha Rules about starting and growing your own business? Neither did I--until I read her Wikipedia entry. Honestly, I found it pretty fascinating. I had always wondered if Martha was/is married, for instance. Turns out she was, to a man named Andrew Stewart, but they divorced in 1989. Wonder what he has been up to in the last decade or so while MS has continued to build her business empire? Ok, really, I digress. But, I really do admire MS. I remember talking about my adoration of Martha Stewart long before her reputation was tarnished by that trading scandal circa 2004. And then, of course, when she was sent to the slammer for her crime, everyone was so quick to jump on the "I never really liked Martha Stewart" bandwagon--but not me! I stayed committed to MS through her slammer days, through the darkest of days at MSLO (that's Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, for those not "in the know") following her prison stint, through Martha Stewart Apprentice (man, I liked that show). While obviously MS is not perfect, I still think she produces some mighty fine home-related ideas, especially when it comes to entertaining, recipes, and home decor.

This week, I'd like to feature a little MS recipe for Melon Mint Sangria. Keep in mind, for readers in CA, last week's mild sunshine is supposed to give way into high 90's next week, so this sangria just might be the right kind of beverage to keep you cool!


Melon Mint Sangria
courtesy ofMartha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine

Ingredients
1/2 honeydew melon
1 pound seedless watermelon
1 pound cantaloupe
1 c. fresh mint
1 bottle (750 ml) dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
1 liter chilled ginger ale

Directions
With a large melon baller, scoop flesh from honeydew melon into a pitcher. Add watermelon and cantaloupe, both peeled, seeded (in case of the cantaloupe), and thinly sliced. Add fresh mint, and bottle of dry white wine. Stir to combine and refrigerate for one hour (or up to overnight). To serve, add 1 liter chilled ginger ale and ice.




Review:
There is nothing better than an ice cold, refreshing beverage on a hot summer day. This sangria was enjoyed over the 4th of July weekend, when it was hot outside and even hotter in front of the BBQ. I wouldn't change anything about this recipe, other than prepare to make more when it runs out. : ) Thanks, Martha!

Cheers!
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment