Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

C is for Chocolate: Snickers Mini Cupcakes (Jennifer)

Hello readers!

Is everyone warm and dry tonight? I hope so. What a terrific storm we had roll through this evening! We're talking a full-blown storm, complete with thunder, lightening and rain--oh my! I'm sure all of our readers outside of CA are rolling their eyes, but really, it was pretty big news and a fantastic way to start out the week.

Alright, this week's challenge was chocolate, which I'm not sure is much of a challenge considering how much I enjoy the ingredient. Jessica and I attended a chocolate festival a few weeks back and that was a lot of chocolate. I never thought the day would come, but by the end of our stroll through the plethora of booths, I can honestly say I had eaten more than my fill and couldn't stand the thought of another bite. Lucky for me, my chocolate fix had worn off when Jessica announced my secret ingredient and I was more than happy to make something with chocolate this week.

These cupcakes were inspired by one of the students in our office who was celebrating a birthday. His preferences were Snickers, chocolate, macademia nut and the color blue. I'm happy to say these cupcakes foot the bill for two of his four preferences. Hopefully the taste made up for the rest!


Snickers Mini Cupcakes
Slightly Adapted from My Baking Addiction

Makes 35-40 mini cupcakes

For the cake:
1 (18.25 ounce) package devil’s food cake mix
1 (5.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs; lightly beaten
1/2 cup warm water
1 teaspoon of vanilla
24-30 refrigerated Snickers Miniatures

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line mini cupcake tin with paper liners.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, beaten eggs, vanilla and water.

4. Evenly divide the batter amongst the prepared pans. {I used a teaspoon to a teaspoon and a half}.
5. Bake for 10-11 minutes, or until top is springy to the touch and a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Cool cupcakes thoroughly on wire rack.

For the frosting:
2 sticks unsalted butter; room temperature
1/2 cup shortening {I used add'l butter}
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 pounds confectioners’ sugar
1/3 cup caramel topping; plus more for drizzling
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions
1. Cream the butter in the bowl of an electric or stand mixer. Add the vanilla extract, salt and caramel syrup and combine well.
2. Begin adding in the sugar and mixing thoroughly after each addition. After all of the sugar has been added and mixed thoroughly, give it a taste and decide if you want to add in more caramel syrup. For thicker frosting you can gradually add in a little more sugar.
3. Garnish with chopped Snickers bars and a drizzle of caramel of caramel syrup.

 Easy as 1....
2....
 3....

Review:
I really, really enjoyed these cupcakes. They come together super quickly and when you are doing mini cupcakes, it seems like they make a bazillion. I took a ton of the cupcakes to work, and also boxed up several to give to neighbors on Halloween night. I would definitely make them again! They were just the right amount of chocolate, caramel and the sweet crunch of Snickers on top really did it for me. Yum!

JESSICA'S SECRET INGREDIENT NEXT WEEK IS DILL!

No comments:

Post a Comment