Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

C is for Carrots: Carrot Bran Muffins (Jessica)


Ciao!

This week I wanted to make something healthy. You know, low-fat, low-sugar, etc. How dull, right? WELL, maybe. But sometimes, that's what I crave. Especially for breakfast. Nothing better than a nutrition-packed breakfast muffin in the morning. 
This recipes does the trick. It combines my ingredient (carrots) with bran! I know what you're thinking: bran, how boring is that? But adding something like all-bran cereal to a muffin does NOT mean the muffin is terrible. I promise. That being said, this recipe was good, but I wasn't blown away...But I'll let you make a decision for yourself... :)

Carrot Bran Muffins
from this site
Makes 20-24 muffins

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour 
1 1/2 cups all-bran cereal
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 3/4 cups skim milk mixed with:
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1 cup carrot, grated
zest of 1 orange

Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cereal, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda.
3. In a large bowl, combine egg, milk, lemon juice, butter, applesauce, carrot, and orange rind.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
5. Spoon into lightly greased muffin tin - Do NOT use paper muffin liners.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, until tops are firm to the touch, or when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Review: 
This muffin was pretty decent, but honestly, I've tasted better recipes. I guess that was just my opinion though, because everyone else that tasted these seemed to enjoy them quite a lot! I think if I made them again, I would add some more spices or use half whole wheat flour and half white flour. As it was, these muffins were very dense. The orange zest was a nice touch though. A good trick to spice up a muffin recipe!

-Jessica


PS. Jen's secret ingredient for next week is........Dijon Mustard!

No comments:

Post a Comment