Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

T is for Tomatoes: Tomato Vodka Sauce (Jessica)

Hi All,

As you saw last week, Jen and I were both traveling internationally! What a cool opportunity! I ate a lot of good food in Honduras (and some mediocre food), but since I've been back, I've been wanting to try this pasta sauce. I had the recipe (a photocopy of it anyway) in the giant disorganized pile of printed recipes that I've been collecting for years. I think I need a better way to organize them...hmmm, any ideas?!
Anyway, I'm not sure where this recipe came from, I think from a family friend back home...but it's definitely from a book (pg. 102 of a book in fact!). Sorry I can't be more specific...but give it a shot!



Salsa Rosa con Vodka aka: vodka tomato sauce
serves 2

Ingredients: 
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 small dried red chile peppers (I used a pinch of red chile pepper flakes)
1/4 cup vodka
2 cups canned Italian tomatoes, seeded and pureed (I used diced tomatoes)
salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup cream
Pasta of your choice!

Directions:
1. Combine the butter, olive oil, and chile peppers in a saute pan. Cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the vodka, turn to medium heat. Let the vodka boil for a few minutes. Be careful not to burn the mixture.
3. Add the tomatoes, salt, and pepper (to taste) and cook over medium heat until sauce thickens (8-10 minutes).
4. Reduce heat to low and slowly stir in the cream. Continue to cook over low while you make the pasta according to directions.
5. Combine pasta and sauce and top with shredded Parmesan cheese before serving!


Review: 
I really liked this sauce. I thought it was flavorful with a little spice, but not too much and it was really easy to make. I like tomato sauces with a little cream more than any other kind of sauce; clearly this was a good choice for me. I think this recipe would have been better if I'd followed the directions and used pureed tomatoes...but alas, I couldn't find any when I was at the store. Next time though, for sure!


-Jessica


PS. Jen's next ingredient is more of a method: UPSIDE DOWN CAKE

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a lovely and simple tomato sauce. Nigella Lawson has a recipe for a vodka tomato sauce in Feast which is similar - another recipe which I have earmarked since forever and must get around to trying soon!

    ReplyDelete