Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

T is for Tea: Earl Grey and Lavender Tea Shortbread Cookies (Jennifer)

Hello readers!
Every now and then I get inspired by new kitchen gadgets. Have I introduced you to my new favorite yet? It's the Mr. Coffee Coffee and Spice Grinder, available at your local Target (or favorite housewares retailer) for the reasonably low price of $16.99. What a deal! Trust me when I say, this is the most useful item I've picked up at Target in a long time. Because really, when you visit Target, don't you usually end up with a cart half full of non-essentials that you thought you needed, but turns out you really have plenty at home already (ahem, candles, picture frames, stationary, shower curtains, and other items that tend to jump into my cart)? Happens to me all the time.

Despite Mr. Coffee's name, I plan to use this gadget strictly for spices and teas, like this week's recipe using Earl Grey and Lavender tea. I wouldn't want the coffee residue and flavor overpower my teas and spices, you know? Enjoy these sweet little shortbread cookies--I did!

Earl Grey and Lavender Tea Cookies
Recipe from Martha Stewart Weddings

Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons finely ground Earl Grey tea leaves (from about 4 bags)
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest

Directions
  1. Whisk flour, tea, and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
  2. Put butter, sugar, and orange zest in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture until just combined.
  3. Divide dough in half. Transfer each half to a piece of parchment paper; shape into logs. Roll in parchment to 1 1/4 inches in diameter, pressing a ruler along edge of parchment at each turn to narrow the log and force out air. Transfer in parchment to paper towel tubes; freeze until firm, 1 hour.
  4. 4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut logs into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Space 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment.
    5. Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until edges are golden, 13 to 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.


Review: I really enjoyed these cookies. They were light, buttery, and I loved the subtle notes of earl grey and lavender in them. I also think the hint of orange accentuates the citrus flavors from the earl grey. I couldn't help myself from adding a very simple frosting, though most shortbreads would not have something like this (maybe a drizzle, but mine is a little more than a drizzle!). Keep it or not, I'm just such a sweettooth, I couldn't help myself. : )

Enjoy with a fresh pot of the real thing, and cozy up with a book, and you've got yourself a fine afternoon!

Cheers!
Jen

Jessica's next secret ingredient is unleavened bread!

1 comment:

  1. I love the sound of these cookies! Martha Stewart has a recipe for Earl Grey shortbread in her Cookies book (I think) and it has been something I've wanted to try for such a long time. The pairing with a frosting sounds really lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete