Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

J is for Jamaica Cake (Jennifer)

 

Dearest readers,
Well, I guess this week is a double whammy for me. Not only do you get a "Jamaica" cake, but you get a "Jamaica" cake by "Jennifer." Get  it? The double J's? That's only going to happen once people! Haha, maybe it's not that amusing to you, but sometimes I crack myself up. : ) This week, the running joke between Jessica and me has been just that--jokes. Our favorite line being, "Haha, that's funny." To which one of us--usually Jessica--replies, "Like funny, haha? Or funny....???" Are you, dear reader, laughing yet at this post? I hope so because I am. It's just been one of those nights. My sweet, innocent Lyla dog chewed through my mouse cord just as I had opened our blog page to begin posting. Woooonnnddderful. I'm guessing that falls under "funny, haha." Good thing we had an extra one (random, I know).

Ok, on to the real post! This weekend I played hostess on Daddy's day to my mom, dad and grandparents. Every time I see them I am reminded by how blessed I am to have such wonderful people in my life. Especially people I call family. I will be forever indebted to my dad for all he's done for my sister and me. I am a lucky and blessed girl, indeed.

And, in honor of all special dads and grandfathers out there (including Mr. Levine who sent Jessica this awesome recipe!), here's a Jamaica Cake to put a little sweetness in your week!


Jamaica Cake
from All Recipes

Ingredients
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 bananas, peeled and diced
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

Directions

1. Mix together sugar, vegetable oil, pecans, flour, and bananas in a 13 x 9 inch pan. Stir in the eggs, pineapple (with juice), vanilla, salt and baking soda. Mix well. Do not mash the bananas.




2. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 60 minutes or until cake tests done.


Review
Wow, what an easy cake to make! The best part is no dishes!! You can just mix it all together in the 13 x 9 baking pan which makes clean up a breeze! The cake was moist, flavorful and great for a summer BBQ. A few additions you could make include adding toasted coconut to the top, or maybe even a very light vanilla rum sauce. The only change I made from the original recipe was to cut the pecans down to one cup rather than two. Otherwise, it was terrific!


Thanks, Dad and Grandpa, for coming over!

1 comment: