Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

F is for Feta Pasta Salad (Jessica)

Dear Food Fans,

I'm back in the US! After all the amazing (and filling and rich) food I ate in Singapore (besides that questionable oyster dish...), this week, we're going healthy. I needed something light and summery heading into Memorial Day Weekend.

One of the food blogs I read frequently is Kath Eats Real Food. We often talk about Kath at my office because she makes food that sounds delicious and healthy and we're more than a bit jealous that she has all that time to devote to each meal (check out her tribute to oatmeal!). For the more typical gal on a 9-5 work schedule with (what feels like) endless other commitments, I often have to stick to recipes that I can make quickly after work or on the weekends.

This Feta and Veggie Pasta Salad was quick and light, perfect for during the week!

Feta Pasta Salad
(adapted from KERF)

For salad:
Whole wheat penne, cooked according to box directions (I used the remaining half a box I had in my kitchen already)
1 medium cucumber, chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped and sauteed lightly in a skillet (with a touch of olive oil and salt)
2 tomatoes (I used tomatoes on the vine)
15 (or so) chopped kalamata olives
8 oz block of feta, diced
1/2 a can of Garbanzo Beans (drained)

Dressing:
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 heaping teaspoon sun-dried tomatoes in oil
Juice of half a small lemon (I used bottled lemon juice and added a little less than 1 tablespoon)
1 teaspoon honey
Pinch of oregano
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
Directions:
Combine ingredients and make dressing. Toss all ingredients in dressing. Eat!

Review: 
One of the great things about doing a pasta salad like this is that you can keep adjusting the ratios of everything until it is exactly to your taste. I played with the amount of pasta and vegetables, but kept the dressing essentially as described above. I ate this for lunch today and will likely have the rest tomorrow and the next day, I made quite a bit of it! The feta cheese crumbled and broke into small pieces, coating the whole salad. In Kath's recipe, the feta remained in large chunks. Hmmm, that would probably be tasty too, but I like my way :)


Foreva' Feta,

-Jessica

2 comments:

  1. Yum! This sounds great and perfect for a Memorial Day BBQ! Love your sign-off, too, btw. Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it better when the feta coats everything like that. Looks super yummy!! :)

    ReplyDelete