Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Z is for ...Amaretto Zabaglione! (Jennifer)

Hello everyone!

Sorry for the delay in posting this last week's Z recipe--I think I was just having trouble coming to terms with the fact that this will be the last recipe post for the blog! Wow! I can hardly believe it was a little over a year ago when Jessica and I started this blogging adventure. It's been a lot of fun, and I'm so grateful to have had Jessica as my blogger-in-crime for this project! She is awesome and now the proud holder of an M.Ed!! Woohoo, Jessica!!

So, this week's recipe is actually harder to spell than it is to make...not that it was super easy, but the spelling is way more difficult--trust me! This recipe is from Bon Appetit, and pairs with another recipe of theirs for a bread pudding. However, I've read several reiterations of this recipe and have learned that you can eat it with strawberries, too. A great way to enjoy the bounty of the season!


Amaretto ZabaglioneRecipe from Bon Appetit

Ingredients

  • 6 large egg yolks
  • 1/3 cup amaretto or other almond liqueur
  • 3 tablespoons baker's sugar (superfine sugar) or regular sugar
  • 1/4 cup whipping cream

Preparation

Whisk egg yolks, amaretto, and sugar in medium metal bowl to blend.


Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water. Whisk mixture constantly and vigorously until thickened and instant-read thermometer inserted into mixture registers 140°F for 3 minutes, about 5 minutes total. Remove mixture from over water.

Add cream and whisk until incorporated. Serve warm or chilled. DO AHEAD If serving chilled, zabaglione can be prepared 1 day ahead and refrigerated. Rewhisk before serving. 



Review:
I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be creamy and smooth, but mine came out with a few bumps and lumps. I think it's because I didn't take it off the stove quick enough and it might have overcooked just a touch (or maybe a lot, who knows!). Since I've never had zabaglione before, it was hard to know what consistency or texture I was really going for...but the taste was still pleasant. Almost like a rich egg custard, but creamier and less "firm." I guess that makes sense considering the only ingredients are eggs with minimal additional ingredients. In any event, it was a nice pairing with the strawberries and a nice treat on a Sunday evening. : )

Cheers!!
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment