Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

W is for Watercress: Watercress and Avocado Salad (Jennifer)

Hello dear readers!

This week's recipe is one for a humble salad. A salad with some curious ingredients. When I first read the title of this recipe, I was most excited about the avocado. I love avocado! My grandparents used to have several avocado trees on their property, and one of my fondest summer memories is splitting one open, sprinkling on a little salt, and enjoying every creamy bite. But, avocado is not the star of the show in this recipe. It's really the watercress, which might be a little harder to find at your grocery store, but is worth tracking down. If you can't find it, you could also likely use spinach or another type of green, but the watercress really makes it great. Give it a try!

Watercress and Avocado Salad

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar (not seasoned) I used seasoned and it turned out just fine.
  • 1 tablespoon grated sweet onion such as Vidalia or Walla Walla (use large holes of a box grater)
  • 1/4 cup finely grated peeled Gala apple (use small holes of box grater) The small holes didn't work for me--I used the larger holes and it was great.
  • 4 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 6 cups watercress (thin stems and leaves only; from 1 large bunch)
  • 1 firm-ripe avocado
Directions

Stir together vinegar, onion, apple, soy sauce, and sugar until sugar has dissolved, then stir in oil.


Just before serving, toss watercress with enough dressing to coat. Quarter, pit, and peel avocado, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.





 Gently toss with watercress.

Review
This salad was so addicting! After I finished all the greens, I used the leftover dressing later in the week and stirred it into cooked quinoa, cauliflower and some other vegetables. It was delicious! This is going to be my new go-to summer salad. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment