Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

V is for Vanilla Bean: Vanilla Bean Champagne Cocktail (Jessica)

Happy Easter and Happy Passover!

This week I decided to try a drink recipe with my vanilla bean assignment. You know how in LA fancy cocktails are always sooo expensive? I mean, really, $15??? With all the kitchen experience I've been accumulating, I figured a drink recipe would show me how overpriced those drinks really are, let's have the next cocktail party at home!

WELL, let me tell you, I made a giant mess in my kitchen. It may have been worth $15 to not have to clean up all the sticky sugary water that seemed to go everywhere and the incident with the spilled champagne in the fridge....yeah....

That being said, if you are neater than I am (or don't care that you can't walk around on your floor barefoot now because of how sticky it is) you probably could make this recipe pretty easily :)



Vanilla Bean Champagne Cocktail
makes enough for 4-6 champagne flutes
from foodnetwork.com

Ingredients: 
2 ounces of peach nectar (I used peach juice)
1/2 ounce of vanilla bean syrup
Sparkling wine (champagne or other)

Directions: 

To make the syrup: 

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean

In a small saucepan, combine the water and sugar. Split the vanilla bean in half and scrape off the seeds with a paring knife.
Add the seeds and the pod to the saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer over low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Simmer on low until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
Strain to remove pod and seeds (I used a tea strainer) and let cool completely before using.


To make the drink:
Combine the peach nectar and vanilla bean syrup in a champagne flute. Top with sparkling wine as desired and serve.

Review: 
Aside from the giant mess this made, it was pretty good! The vanilla bean syrup is very sweet though, and should be used sparingly. I tried combining just the syrup with some sparkling wine (minus the peach nectar) and that was really good too. I think you could start with those 2 ingredients and add any flavor of juice (or maybe grenadine) and it would be pretty good. The syrup really smelled like vanilla and tasted like it too, yum. A good party drink or a going-out-dancing drink! :)



-Jessica


PS. Jennifer's secret ingredient for next week is: WATERCRESS



No comments:

Post a Comment