Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

S is for Sweet Potatoes: Sweet Potato Pancakes (Jessica)

Happy Weekend, All!

Guess what! This is the 100th post on our blog! How exciting is that?! I'm so proud of all the recipes we've successfully made and all the great pictures we've taken. :)

So let me tell you what happened this week. First of all, I found a great recipe for spaghetti squash and requested to Jennifer that she give me spaghetti squash as an ingredient. Then, I went to the supermarket and promptly found out that spaghetti squash is totally out of season. SO, plan B: I came home with sweet potatoes instead.
I had planned to make sweet potato fries, but when I saw this recipe, I wanted to give it a try! It's a healthier version of fried latkes (potato pancakes) done via baking instead of frying, and I think it has a lot of potential. I only had one sweet potato in the end (there was a mold situation...), so I winged all the quantities. I'd suggest following the recipe below!

Sweet Potato Pancakes
from healthyrecipesblogs.com
makes 12 pancakes

Ingredients: 
2 pounds sweet potatoes (4 medium)
1 cup green onions, chopped (green parts only) (I didn't include these)
2 large eggs, beaten with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons olive oil for greasing the baking sheet (I ended up using more than this)
This sweet potato looks naked!


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and grease by brushing with 1 tablespoon oil.

2. Peel potatoes. Grate using your food processor’s grating attachment.
Transfer to a large bowl and mix with onions. Add the egg mixture and stir with a fork, then add the flour and stir to combine.

3. Drop mixture into prepared baking sheet (using hands), forming 12 very thin pancakes- press with your hands or with a spatula to flatten as much as you can, while keeping their shape.

4. Bake 5 minutes. By now, pancakes should be formed and easier to handle, but they are beginning to stick to the foil, so you’ll want to briefly remove the pan from the oven, carefully loosen the pancakes using a spatula, oil the foil some more (maybe use new foil), flip the latkes to the other side, and return the pan to the oven.

5. Bake about 10 minutes, or until pancakes are crisp and deep golden brown on the bottom. Remove pan from oven, transfer latkes to a plate, brush the foil with some more oil, flip latkes to the other side, and bake about 10 more minutes, until crisp and deep golden brown on the second side.

Review: 
These were really good, but I had a little problem with the edges getting too crispy. I think the oven temperature needs to be lower than the original recipe (which said 450), so I've suggest using 425 in the recipe above. They may need a little longer to bake, but will crisp more evenly! Man, sweet potatoes are so much better than regular potatoes...mmmmhhhmmmmm. :)


-Jessica

PS. Jen's ingredient for next week is: TEA!

PPS. Jen and I are both traveling internationally next week for work, so there may be a slight delay in the posting of our T recipes, but we will be back bringing you recipes soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment