Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

E is for Elbow Macaroni: Elbow Macaroni Baked Ziti (Jessica)


Hi there!

So I bet you're wondering what's up with the title of this post, right? What the heck is Elbow Macaroni Baked Ziti. Ok, here's the scoop: I made it up.  I have been craving something reminiscent of baked ziti lately. I think it's because it's colder and darker out...or maybe I just like pasta a bit too much. When Jen gave me Elbow Macaroni as my "e" ingredient, I got to thinking that I could use it in baked ziti! I opted for something on the healthier side, with vegetables, and everything was going along swimmingly until I had to pick a name for my creation. Hmmm, Baked Elbow Macaroni? Sounds too much like mac and cheese. Baked Ziti with Elbows? Sounds too zombie-esque, we're not actually eating elbows here, people! So in the end, we're going with Elbow Macaroni Baked Ziti*

*with vegetables.

ps. blogger.com does not recognize ziti as a legitimate spelling of a word...lame!

Elbow Macaroni Baked Ziti
based on this recipe from myrecipes.com
makes 5-6 servings


Ingredients:
  • 6 ounces uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni  
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil 
  • 1/2 of a spaghetti squash (I added this just for fun, originally the recipe called for butternut squash)
  • 1 cup chopped zucchini 
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion 
  • 2 cups chopped tomato 
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided 
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (or dried basil)
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano (or dried oregano)
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided 
  • 1/4 cup (2 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten 
 Directions:
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain.
2. Preheat oven to 400°.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan. Add zucchini, and onion; sauté 5 minutes.
Add tomato and garlic; sauté 3 minutes.
4. Remove from heat; stir in pasta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
5. Combine ricotta, remaining salt, and egg.
6. Stir into pasta mixture and stir in spaghetti squash as well.
7. Spoon into an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
8. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and browned.

Review:
This recipe came out a little healthier-tasting that I had been hoping. Do you know what I mean by that? I was really (shamefully?) craving something cheesy and gooey...and this dish was oh so healthy. Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad...just a bit dull. If I made it again, I would add more salt throughout and more mozzarella on the top before baking it. One of my favorite parts, though, was the addition of the spaghetti squash! What a fun food! If you'd never cooked with it, give it a try, it is accurately named :)
It looks like spaghetti!
The finished product.

Happy (early) Thanksgiving!

-Jessica


PS. Jennifer's secret ingredient for next week is......FETTUCCINE!

No comments:

Post a Comment